Re: Getting rid of /boot

On 12/05/2009 10:08 AM, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On SATA, it is 15.  On IDE it's 24?  Not sure about PATA.
>
> I'd like to see documentation supporting the idea that the data
> structures ON the disk are somehow tied to the underlying interface
> technology, please.

They are not. But the high level driver only supports x number of
partitions. Because the SCSI top level drivers are being used, only
15 partitions are usable, regardless of the number being defined.
Also, the DOS partition table is not the only one supported.

You can also access the drive without any partition table. You will
find that you can format /dev/sdb, and then mount /dev/sdb on a
mount point. I used /dev/sdb, but you can do it with any drive. But
because most people have their Linux install already on /dev/sda,
using /dev/sda would cause problems... :)

Mikkel