Re: Getting rid of /boot

On Saturday 05 December 2009, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>> But the point is taken.  There seem to be quite a few posts from folks
>> that make their lives needlessly complex by mucking with the defaults
>> and that ends up breaking something downstream.
>
>Are you saying that something is "broken downstream" if you don't use LVM?
>With respect, that is nonsense.

Folderol even.  My objection to LVM is two fold.

1. It won't allow one to save things in the /home tree when doing an upgrade
or re-install.  I have an almost 10GB corpus of email, and several scripts
that are needed for my daily operations that need to be preserved.  LVM makes
that impossible.

2. Its another point of failure that will indeed fail at some point.  Every
LVM install I've let anaconda do, has led to a failure and a total re-install
at some point.  The last was a drive failure, but I was able to rsync the
important stuff to another fresh drive with 8 or 9 partitions I setup with
gparted, moved the drive to sda, ran a fresh grub-install and everything is
ok.  The machine is noticeably faster too without the LVM crap between a
button click and results.

LVM is a solution looking for a problem I've never had, and its a solution
that is way too easily contaminated IMNSHO.

As for the subject line, you would have to be out of your mind to want to
expose /boot to the various illnesses LVM can be infected with entirely too
easily.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

<Espy> be careful, some twit might quote you
<Espy> out of context...