Re: Dialup PPPD with Network Manager in F12

On 12/04/2009 04:10 AM, David wrote:
> I'm seeking advice on the use of "plain old dialup" pppd and Network Manager.
>
> My internet access is provided by 56kbit/s dialup modem on /dev/ttyS0
> on a desktop pc which also has an ethernet NIC that gives CUPS,
> backup, NFS, internet services to another notebook pc. DSL is not
> available here due to poor line quality.
>
> I currently have dialup pppd working in Fedora 9. Back then I was not
> able to find a comprehensive or current Howto but I did get it working
> by reading widely and manually editing these files
> /etc/hosts
> /etc/sysconfig/network
> /etc/resolv.conf
> /etc/host.conf
> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
> /etc/ppp/peers/my_isp (wvdial with --remotename --chat options)
> /etc/ppp/options
> /etc/ppp/my_chat_script
> /etc/wvdial.conf
>
> Back then I uninstalled F9 Network Manager because it seemed that it
> and/or system-config-network was interfering with some of the above
> files.
>
> I now want to progress to Fedora 12. I will do a clean installation.
> So I'm just asking here first to see if there is a better way than my
> previous approach above.
>
> I noticed that NetworkManager in F12 included Wireless Broadband
> support, I hoped that it might also be useable for plain old dialup. I
> found a reference:
> http://www.linux.co.uk/docs/center/how-to/how-to-get-online-with-3g-broadband
> that it looks possible to specify the modem device port somewhere in
> NetworkManager. However I am unable to find anywhere to do this in F12
> Network Manager Applet 0.7.996. Maybe the manual configuration option
> was dropped in favour of the wizard approach.

Let me preface my answers with:

1)  My main server is still running F10
2)  I haven't had to use dialup for 8+ years now

> My questions are:
> I need to use pppd via /dev/ttyS0 dialup modem in Fedora 12.
> 1) Should I disable Network Manager ?

Probably in earlier fedora releases.  I'm not sure about now.

> 2) Or is there a way to have Network Manager cooperate with serial
> device modem connections ?

NetworkMangler should work with any device that it can control.  I'm not
sure how it controls serial dialup.

> 3) Is Network Manager likely to have this capability in future ? Or is
> it considered obsolete ?

Back in the day, I installed a daemon called diald (dial-deamon).  Its
sole purpose was to sit in the background and wait for traffic being
sent to ppp0, then check to see it the interface was up, if not, it
would dial the connection to your ISP for you (seamlessly).  If you were
lucky, your connection attempt wouldn't time out before your link came
up and all would be well.  It would shut it down after a predetermined
period of in-activity.  Kinda like NetworkManager wants to do today.

I just checked, and the same RPM as I have installed is still available
on SourceForge:   diald-1.0-1.i386.rpm

I suspect that you might have to do a little work to make a x86_64
version....  And you might have to do something to NetworkMangler to
keep it from getting in the way.

> 4) Have I overlooked any Howto that assists with use of pppd with
> serial device modems on F12 ?

Not that I'm aware of, but, pppd is a dinosaur these days with Wi-Fi,
DSL, Hi-speed Cable modems, etc  and may be "forgotten".

In my Gnome session, I can go to System->Administration->Network and
create a new Network connection.  One of the selections is "Modem".
Perhaps this is the way to go?  If you create it, will NetworkMangler
see it?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx