Re: Problem with screen resolution after installing F12

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 17:12:16 +0800,
  Dick Roark <linuxguy.sg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> After installing Fedora 12 I am having problems setting up 1280x1024 screen
> resolution.  Only 640x480 and 800x600 are available. I was using F11 at
> 1280x1024 on this hardware before upgrading to F12.  After that, so far no
> joy.  I would appreciate any helpful info.  I have also tried using various
> configurations of the xorg.conf and xrandr without success.   Obviously, I'm
> missing something.  I feel certain that the fix is right under my nose but
> so far, nothing works.

Probably your monitor isn't doing EDID correctly and the video drivers are
playing things safe.

When this happens you no longer get the mode lines you used to so that you
can't just specify a larger resolution in xorg.conf, you also need to define
and appropriate mode line. cvt is one program you can use to generate mode
lines. You should check the documentation of your monitor and video card to
make sure your don't drive to drive the display out of spec or you may
damage something.

Below is the xorg.conf I ended up using. Don't blindly use it yourself. The
mode line may or may not be appropriate for your equipment.

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "single head configuration"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# keyboard added by system-config-display
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105+inet"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	ModelName    "NEC MultiSync LCD2010X"
	HorizSync    31.0 - 80.0
	VertRefresh  56.0 - 85.0
	Modeline "1280x1024_70.00"  129.00  1280 1368 1504 1728  1024 1027 1034 1069 -hsync +vsync
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"