Re: errors on trying to install latest nvidia driver with F12

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 14:11 +0000, N James Bridge wrote:
> I am hoping someone may be able to throw some light on this.
>
> I had (and now have restored) F12 (x86_64) working with the nouveau
> driver. I have been watching for the nvidia drivers to make it into the
> RPMfusion repo and they have now done so  and last night I installed the
> 173 legacy driver (as required for my ancient graphics card!) Result -
> plymouth intro followed by black screen. I rebooted into level 3 and
> uninstalled the nvidia drivers and tried again - same result. Following
> advice I got here previously, I rebooted to level 3, deleted xorg.conf
> and then ran startx, which worked. However, on closing, I got a string
> of error messages and then on booting up, the black screen again.
>
> Finally, I repeated the above and from the gui (GNOME) made a new user.
> Since then things have worked normally. Why? It seems more like black
> magic than IT.
>
> I have attached the error log and the default xorg.conf file, for expert
> perusal. It doesn't mean a whole lot to me.
>
> thanks in advance for any comments

PS. I should have said that, following the advice on installing nvidia
drivers given at
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-nvidia.html
I also tried using dracut to make a new initramfs, once the nvidia
driver was removed. It didn't make any difference: worked once only, as
for the other changes.