Re: changing GDM background image on F12

Chris wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:48:50 -0500
fred smith <fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 01:53:14PM -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
Could you explain a little more what you are trying to do?

If you're just trying to change the wallpaper, what happens when
you just use the standard menu to do that? Or are you trying to do
something more?

What behavior do you get when you (from memory)
  system->preferences->appearance->background->add->{select a
file} and if by default you mean system wide, the [make default]
button may help
As the subject says, he's trying to change the background for the
GDM screen.  Since GDM doesn't provide a panel, there isn't really a
convenient way to browse to system->preferences->appearance... :)

Using gconftool-2 is generally the best way to achieve this, and
works fine for me on F-12 (as it has in past releases).  Why it's
not working for Fred remains to be seen.
As Todd says, I'd like to change the GDM (login) screen wallpaper. I
had accidentally stumbled into that in F10, and never really knew how
I had done it (but liked the image it ended up with so I left it.)
but then my SSD went bad and when I got it back from repair I
installed F11 and never pursued this, but now that I've done an
update to F12 I'd like to change the image again. I thought that
choosing "make default" in the tool Bill suggests would do it, but it
doesn't. so I've also tried the command (shown in earlier emails in
this thread but somehow purged from this one) using gconftool-2 and
it didn't work either.

i've put the image in /usr/share/backgrounds/images, but a lot of the
discussion I've seen of this just say "/usr/share/backgrunds", so is
it possible that it should not go in any of hte subdirs there? doesn't
seem to make sense, as I specified the full path to the file when I
ran gconftool-2.

It's apparent that even after the above is spelled out, users still
can't read. The Op is speaking of the Gnome Login background (GNOME
LOGIN BACKGROUND)... NOT the users DESKTOP BACKGROUND.
Un Effin' believable...

As several of us have noted, this seems to work for us. The OP may have something else blocking this, or a high uptime, since I think you have to restart GDM.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>