Re: xrandr w/ laptop and ext monitor

On Tuesday 01 December 2009 23:10:05 Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I have an HP laptop w/ an Intel chipset and am trying to clone the laptop
>  display to an external lcd but not having luck. I want it to appear
>  exactly as is (task bar etc) but with the obviously different resolution,
                                             ^^^^^^^^^

Well, what is *obvious* (to me, at least) is that it is *impossible* to clone
LVDS and VGA outputs while having them with different resolutions, at the same
time. I mean, "cloning" means "making them identical", resolution included.
:-)

What you *can* do is to make them both have the same resolution, and X can do
this for you, by choosing the highest resolution common to both VGA and LVDS.
However, don't be surprised if that turns out to be 1024x768 or even 800x600.

>  can anyone point me to a doc that suggests this config versus that of
>  extending etc?

man xrandr

I have a VGA panel with native 1680x1050, a LVDS with 1280x800, and the
biggest common resolution turns out to be 1024x768, which looks very ugly on
both displays. So when I am connected to VGA, I prefer to shut down the LVDS
and work in panel's native 1680x1050. The simplest way to do this is to
execute

xrandr --output VGA1 --auto --output LVDS1 --off

(I have a script taking care of it, autodetecting the presence of VGA panel,
etc...). You can read the man page for xrandr and fiddle with various setups.

The other possibility is to have two *different* outputs (not cloned, but
adjacent, as is being setup as default in F12), and setup the user interface
of your DE to look the same. If you use KDE, it is easy, just add appropriate
widgets (panel and all) on the VGA display, set up a background, etc. I don't
know about Gnome and other DE's, but I guess it's possible there, too.

HTH, :-)
Marko