Re: To dd or to rsync, that's the question...

Tony Nelson wrote:
On 09-12-01 13:01:47, Dan Thurman wrote:
Which is the preferred "backup" solution?
I am trying to get data off of disk1 which is failing (via smartd) and wish to use the correct backup and restore method getting the data off of disk1 onto disk2 without "integrity loss", whatever that means.

You don't seem to be doing a backup, but rather making a copy of an existing drive. You should probably do that and then also make a backup some other way.

To copy a disk, I always use dd and then expand the last partition as needed (it's usually LVM2, so I then expand some of the LVs). The disk I usually do this to has WinXP (and Win98) as well as Linux /boot and LVM2 partitions.

In the case of dd, it falls flat, if there are sector errors and this
would not work, as in my case - so backup programs that do byte copy would perhaps also fail.

ddrescue
I tried ddrescue and it seems to "work", except that there was
4 errors reported.  When I went to look at the mount, it seems
to indicate that the partition was not readable, perhaps left in
some unknown state.  Are there any ddrescue options that I
need to be aware of?  The command I used was:

ddrescue /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2

I tried to go into a working OS (XP) and tried to use the
chkdsk /F E: and it says that it could not locate the master
tables and kills chkdsk.  It also says it is not a NTFS partition
either.

This of course was on a Vista partition.

Thanks-
Dan