Re: How to install Fedora-12?

>> If you 'cp' or 'mv'  the vmlinuz and initrd.img to
>> your internal disks, then grub can find them.

> But will it then be able to see the USB stick,
> in order to copy the Fedora-12 files to the hard disk?

> Otherwise the exercise seems pointless,
> as one might as well have copied the ISO file to the hard disk.

> Timothy Murphy
----------------

All I can say is what I have successfully done, more than once.
--I can  _install_   to my USB external disk.
  ---I installed f11 via first downloading iso to my internal disks.
     and then followed  hard-disk install procedure.
  ---I also installed f10 to my USB external disk, here via DVD.

In both cases the anaconda installer sees the USB as sda
and reorders my internal disks to  sdb, sdc

--In neither case, could I  _boot_  the USB installs, unless I
 put the vmlinuz,initrd onto my internal disk
and referenced properly that internal disk location
with the proper "root (hd1,0)" in my grub.conf.

This root (hd1,0) line in grub.conf does not use the reordered positions for
disks as seen by anaconda. Instead it uses the internal disks
as if the USB is not there at all;  because that is what my BIOS sees.

This is not pointless at all: my goal was to use external USB
 for the installs because I had no easily used room on my internal disks.

Possibly I have misinterpreted what you are trying to do;
 if so, sorry for the noise
Jack