Re: Setting up a VM to run an F12 guest on an XP host

On 11/29/2009 07:16 PM, john wendel wrote:
On 11/29/2009 01:35 PM, Alan Milnes wrote:
2009/11/28 john wendel<jwendel10@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

I know very little about Windows, so I'm seeking your advice.

I'd like to run F12 on an XP box (so I can get some work done), could
someone point me to the right software. The big problem is that I
don't have
admin privs on the XP box so I can't install anything. Is it even
possible?

You don't install F12 from within XP so as long as you can boot from a
CD/DVD this won't be an issue. Just boot from a F12 LiveCD and the
installer should sort it all out for you - this is called "Dual Boot",
each time the computer starts you have the choice to run F12 or
Windows XP (one will be set as a default and you will have 10 seconds
to make a decision when the screen comes up).

Alan

Unfortunately, there is an intrusion detection system on the network
that keeps me from setting up a dual-boot system. If I boot the F12 live
cd, my network connection is disabled and the admins come and beat me
about the head. So I think running F12 in a VM is going to be the best I
can do.

Thanks,

John

I may be coming out of left field on this, but if you are working in the kind of place that has intrusion detection on the network, (I'm a sysadmin on such a network), then you are probably better off talking to the sysadmins. If you really need it to do your job, there may be some approved virtualization tech that they are more than happy to install for you, or the security people will shoot it down. If it's the organization's hardware and network then they have every right to approve or deny the installation of software. If you really, truly, need to use it to do your job and they deny it, get the denial in writing so you can CYA.

Where I work, if someone were caught installing software on the systems I administer like this, that person would probably loose their job and possibly their freedom for several years.

Will