Re: Bug in /etc/cron.d/mlocate.cron or am I crazy?

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 02:51:58PM -0500, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> Yes, I agree that if I see that script hanging on a regular basis then I
> will provide trace data to Bugzilla for further analysis. But this begs
> two questions:

It's pretty important to know where it's hanging. I don't think it's likely
to be a bug in awk; therefore, I think it's probably likely you'll see the
same thing with your version of the script.

> Either way, the original script is deficient because it does not properly
> recognize fields 1 and 2.

Again, only an issue if a filesystem type happens to be given the name
"nodev" *and* isn't itself a nodev fs *and* shouldn't be excluded from
updatedb anyway. So, that seems pretty academic, even though you're
technically correct.

Second, there's nothing performance-sensitive about this part of the script,
so optimizing out an awk call at the expense of changing a simple one-liner
to a half-page function doesn't seem like a win. So, updating the awk
pattern to use either a regular expression or the same logic found in your
function seems like the better change (if any is to be made at all).

> Am I being too anal? Is it a doc problem? Is it a bug in mlocate that should
> be fixed?
>
> --
> Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have  .0.
> happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ ..0
> Donor?Black holes are where God divided by zero. Listen to me! We are all- 000
> individuals! What if this weren't a hypothetical question?
> steveo at syslang.net
>

> --

Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Senior Systems Architect
Cyberinfrastructure Labs / Instructional & Research Computing
Computing & Information Technology