Re: Setting up a VM to run XP in an up-to-date F12 box?

Greg Woods wrote:
On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 06:49 -0800, Mike Cloaked wrote:

Interesting replies - thank you - but noticeable that the fedora provided
facility of kvm has been mentioned by no-one!

In my opinion, kvm is not quite ready for prime time. First of all, it
doesn't work at all unless your system has hardware virtualization
support, in both the BIOS and the CPU. When it does work, it's a little
rough around the edges. I frequently get Python stack dumps when I try
to do things like shut down a VM.
Just to clarify, are you talking about KVM or how it behaves with a layer of libvirt added? I have been running this desktop in KVM from command line since FC4, when RH8 because a security issue even with strong firewalling. I have production FC10 desktops, and web, dns, and mail servers running in VMs, backed on CentOS-5.3.

To the extent that ever do anything with Windows, I have both XP and Win7 VMs that boot and do browsing and run a few tests. For security I run them off a shadow of a naked install, so I can delete the shadow to prevent infection.

I wouldn't hesitate to run production stuff under KVM, but my solid experience has all being run from CLI, I developed scripts long before libvirt was written. Actually before KVM was in the official kernel, as I recall, it was a patch for a while.

That said, I do use it on a couple of Dell systems with Core Duo
processors, one desktop at work and one laptop and it works well enough
for my needs. But I would never try to use it in a production
environment. At work, we use Xen under CentOS 5 and RHEL 5, and at home
on a Pentium 4 system without the necessary hardware virtualization, I
am a happy VirtualBox user.

One thing I have never been able to do under any VM system is to sync my
Palm Pilot via an XP VM. It sees the USB device but it never gets a
connection. This works fine with a native XP boot. Syncing the Palm to
Evolution works OK but it lacks the conduits to sync to the proprietary
calendaring system at work so I'm stuck with Windoze for that.

I have not tried direct access to USB other than as a test, and it worked for that small task, driving a printer. There may well be evil lurking here.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>