Re: reinstalling grub MBR on first drive

Colin Brace wrote:
Hi all,

Several weeks ago, I installed a new motherboard in my Fedora system. During
the switchover, the SATA drives (I have five) were reconnected in a slightly
different order. As a result, the grub menu wasn't displayed; rather I was
dumped into the grub prompt and had to boot manually (root..., kernel...
initrd... boot).

Just now, I tried to fix it by reconnecting the SATA drives in the order I
think they should, but I have succeeded only in making things worse. Now I
don't even get a the grub prompt; just an empty screen.

Yes, I've googled this, yes, there lots of hits, but I can't seem to figure
out what I need to do. From what I understand, the MBR of the first drive
needs to point to the drive with the OS. In my case, the OS is on /dev/sdb.
So, there needs to be something in the MBR on /dev/sda pointing to
/dev/sdb1, which is /boot, no? Still, I seem to be missing part of the
picture. Simply put, what do I need to do to be able to boot my system
again?

Boot from a rescue CD, find and mount the boot and root partitions if the rescue doesn't, go into the original root and run grub-install. See the man page for details.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>