Reorganising F11 partitions - how to?

Hi all,

Again, thanks to all for the support, systems, ideas (& laughs - "The Prius Upgrade" -- sounded a bit like my old Landrover!)

Ok... tried the F12-KDE Live cd & am very impressed, especially as it decided "orl on its own" to treat my laptop screen & plugged in monitor as a dual head where I spent 5 minutes looking for my cursor before I realised it was on the other screen...... so now I wwant to use preupgrade to zap 11 to 12.

When I first installed F11 on the laptop, I setup several partitions (suggestions from O'Reilly's "running Linux"...), which now doesn't seem such a good idea or necessary idea.

What I'd like to do is to move the contents of /usr /local & /tmp from their individual partitions into the / partition & delete the individual (now empty) partitions, sharing the space out amongs / and /Home.

Q1. Is this possible?

if yes,

Q2. Do I a) do the mv (or cp + rm) of the contents then b) use KDE4 Partitionmanager to unmount the partitions & modify the space and c) remove the unneeded entries from fstab, restart & all is OK?

or Q3. Is there a way with one of the CLI partitioners to merge the individual partitions with the existing / partition?

As ever, many thanks for taking the time to help me out!

Dave in freezing cold Rauris.

PS is therre a way of searching 'man' pages to look for "a command that does 'x' "?