Re: Is F12 ready to upgrade ? Is it worth it ?

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:13:38 -0700
Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm perplexed by the posts I am seeing regarding F12 upgrades.  Lots
> of upgrade issues and darn faint praise as far as I can tell ?

Remember the bias here is *heavily* in favor of those with problems.  I
doubt the actual experiences of users are like that.  Of course, that
is just a guess.

> Is F12 stable enough to warrant upgrading to it ?

x86_64 desktop, older hardware.  Definitely yes.

> Is it a worthwhile upgrade at this point ?

Everyone's situation is different.

I first installed it in early September as rawhide expecting to
play with it until release.  It was so stable that within a week
I was using it as my production system and never went back.
That might not have been the case for someone with a different
use case.

However, I will give a general recommendation. I suggest that you never
upgrade your only system. If you have a desktop, disk is so cheap (I
paid $75 for a terabyte sata drive!) that you should have at least two
versions of linux installed at all times. When you upgrade, either
reinstall over the older version or upgrade the older version. I like
doing yum upgrades, but you can back up your data, try preupgrade.  If
it works, excellent.  If it doesn't, use a DVD or netinstall and fresh
install. You then have the current working distribution as a fallback
while you clean up any issues your new version has.  Unless you're an
adrenaline junky, I can't see why to do it any other way.

If you have a laptop, the same applies, except you can use a portable
USB drive (I think I saw $50 for a 160 GB).  Install to the portable.
Once you get it working, have all your data there, tuned, overwrite the
internal drive with the working version from the external drive.
Problems?  Boot to the external drive again and fix them. Never
without a working system.

I *never* use the defaults that the update media suggests for disk
partitioning, always use the custom configuration option.  And I always
do a bare minimum install (fast) and then put everything I want on the
system after it is functioning if I'm not upgrading.  That way I can be
tuning while the packages are installing on the live system.  It helps
to know a little scripting if you are going to do it this way.