Re: modprobe.conf

On 11/23/2009 05:45 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
I have both 32 and 64 bit fedora 12 on different partitions,
both installed from the respective DVD iso images, both
installed with near identical package selections (I have
virtualization on 64 bit, but didn't bother on 32 bit).

The 32 bit version whines about /etc/modprobe.conf existing
at several points during the boot, and there is indeed
a totally empty /etc/modprobe.conf file on the system.

If I try to find out where it came from, I get this:

[root@zooty /]# rpm -q -f /etc/modprobe.conf
file /etc/modprobe.conf is not owned by any package

So some 32 bit package I installed created this
file, but won't own up to it :-).

I supposed it wouldn't hurt anything to delete it
since it is empty?

/etc/modprob.conf is not owned by an RPM as it's not distributed as
part of an RPM.  It is created during installation by a script.

Can you remove it?  Yes.  I'd be curious to know what's whining.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks@xxxxxxxx -
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -