Re: Multi-boot: Making windows partitions bootable?

Tony Nelson wrote:
On 09-11-23 12:35:00, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
I know this is a Fedora site and I am a diehard Fedora user,
but I also have a multiboot system...  apologies to the purists.

Is it possible to backup and restore Xp/Vista to a different
drive/partition in the case of imminent drive failure? How is this to be properly done?

I tried to use rsync from the original to a different partition
but this does not seem to work.

Help please?

There are various -ghost apps, but I've just used dd to a new drive, copying the entire drive to a drive as large or larger. If it is larger, I just extend the last partition to the rest of the drive. IIRC, I usually haven't had to do anything else, but it might be necessary to do a "Repair Install", at least with XP (I haven't used anything more recent). A Repair Install is tedious but hasn't done any harm when I've used it.
Just need a little more info:

How exactly did you use `dd'?

1) Did you have to mount the two partitions and: dd if=/mnt/a of=/mnt/b
   I got an error saying they were directories
2) .. or did you use the RAW devices such as: dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1

Was there any options you used, such as block size or whatever?

Thanks!
Dan