Re: could the "missing codec" redirection be more informative?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Ed Greshko wrote:
>

>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>>>   um ... ok.  in that case, why is fedoraproject.org explicitly
>>> pointing people at rpmfusion.org here?
>>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OtherRepositories
>>>

>> But, they are not explicitly solving a given problem for you.
>> Subtle difference.
>>

>   i wasn't suggesting that the diagnostic solve the problem.  but
> would it be unacceptable for it to give *general* advice about
> possibly adding extra repositories to your system, and by the way,
> here's a page with a list of possible repos, do with them what you
> will.
>
>   is that unreasonable?

Yes, it is likely unreasonable.   Again, the advice is not "general" it
is being given in response to a specific issue.

If I talk about ways to defeating different alarm systems on a car
without having been prompted for advice I am just talking about it.
But, if someone says....I tried breaking into a Lexus but couldn't and I
respond with even general advice it is pretty clear what my intentions
are.  I'm intending to instruct you how to break into a Lexus.   It is
the "intent" that matters.