Re: F12 installs report here.

> Subject says it all.  Tell us about your experience.

Just installed Fedora 12 on Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo U9200 laptop (2GB RAM).
Clean install from x86-64 KDE Live CD, immediately followed by a yum update.

In short, everything works flawlessly! Many thanks to all Fedora devs!! :-)

Specifics:
- KDE is impressive and more powerful than ever
- Pulseaudio Just Works
- Intel graphics drivers Just Work --- no random freezing (GM965 chipset)
- 3D accelerated graphics Just Works (KDE, Compiz and all...)
- Wireless&NM Just Work
- ext4 filesystem Just Works (on all partitions, with GRUB, etc.)
- SELinux policy Just Works (no complaints so far)

The non-free specifics:
- 64-bit flash plugin Just Works, with pulseaudio and all
- mplayer Just Works (inside Compiz --- no picture jittering)
- and the BIGGEST SURPRISE:

      SKYPE JUST WORKS !!! :-D

Even more, it cooperates beautifully with pulseaudio, shares sound with other
audio apps (XMMS, KDE notifications, etc..), and this is the very first time I
can hear it ringing while listening to some music or watching a movie.

I just had a skype-phonecall with a friend of mine, while XMMS was playing
some ambiental music in the background. I reduced its volume somewhat,
courtesy of pulseaudio, in order to have a comfortable conversation over
skype. And as my friend told me about some website to visit, I opened it in
firefox and heard audio from some flash stuff on the web page. And everything
coexisted without even a hiccup!

The only volume mixer I ever started in F12 was pavucontrol, and even that
only to adjust the microphone level. I used app-native volume sliders in all
audio apps, and it all also Just Worked. I could see the volume slider in
pavucontrol moving in sync as I move the XMMS volume slider, and vice versa.

Ok, just to be fair, skype did require some nontrivial work to get installed,
and I am about to post the detailed HOWTO in a new thread.

And there is just one thing I dislike --- in order to make skype happy, I had
to taint my new and beautiful x86_64 system with a lot of ugly .i686 packages.
Specifically, yum pulled in a total

[root@Yoda ~]# rpm -qa | grep .i686 | wc -l
86

of those, mostly various libs, on an otherwise crystal-clear 64-bit system.

Oh, yeah, there was also this thing with renaming LVDS and VGA outputs into
LVDS1 and VGA1, which broke all my custom scripts involving xrandr, but that
was easy to fix after I figured out that the syntax is now different. It did take
some amount of head-scratching to figure it out, though... ;-)

All in all, F12 appears to be a fantastic release! THANKS EVERYBODY!!! And
keep up the good work! :-)

Best, :-)
Marko