Re: Question about internal hard drives

On 19Nov2009 15:31, Kevin O'Neil <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I have a question. Is it better to have multiple hard drives or will
| just one be ok?

Speaking as someone recovering from some data loss right now, multiple
drives is better.

| I have a box that can have up to 2T...should I use two 1T or 4 500Gb?

That's a funny limit. Why 2TB? Or do you mean the max partition size is
2TB, courtesy of the horrible DOS partition format?

People will probably recommend 4 drives in a RAID 5 configuration, but
at home we've just migrated to a policy of 2 drives in RAID 1 (mirror)
configuration.

RAID 1 is less efficient in terms of space: RAID 5 will "waste" one
drive of parity data, thus 1/4 of your drive space while RAID 1 will
waste 1/2 your drive space.

HOWEVER, with RAID 1 either drive is usable on its own. With RAID 5 you
need at least three drives (n-1) drives.

So if you have the money, I'd use RAID 1. It is simpler and in some ways
more flexible.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at
you blankly and say `Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'.
        - Linus Torvalds