Re: Urgent Help Needed for Boot Problems After Data Restoration

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:59 AM, Mikkel <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> After restoring data from a backup image set for a 500GB harddisk to a
>> 1000 GB harddisk, I am unable to boot up my F11 OS. I have already
>> restored *both* the MBR backup and the dump output from sfdisk.
>>
>> What else is missing? I am stuck at a blinking cursor at the top left
>> corner of the screen. GRUB is not loading and I am unable to select
>> any kernel to boot.
>>
>> Using System Rescue CD, I am able to activate all the logical volumes
>> and all the volume groups that were restored. I am also able to mount
>> all the logical volumes and access the restored filesystems.
>>
>> So I think the filesystems are restored properly. So I think it is the
>> problem with MBR, sfdisk dump output restoration, or GRUB. Is there a
>> problem with restoring data of a 500 GB harddisk to a 1 TB harddisk?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
> You will need to re-install Grub. Because Grub uses the BIOS to
> access the drive, and because the first stage loader is rather dumb,
> (Not enough space for a smart loader) it needs to know the physical
> location of stage 1.5. The procedure for re-installing Grub is well
> covered, so I will not post it again.
>
> Mikkel
> --
>
>  Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!
>

> --

Thank you very much! I have solved the problem. Reinstalling GRUB works.

I ran the following commands on my restore harddisk using System Rescue Live CD:

# grub

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)