Re: mplayer works, gmplayer doesn't

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Julian Weißgerber wrote:

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 at 05:58:32, Michael Hennebry wrote:
gmplayer only produces audio, a control thingie,
and an error message where the video should be:
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out(-vo) device.

I remembered wrong.
When I got the error message, I didn't get audio,
but I did get an inoperable control thingie.

Sometimes, the video window wouldn't show at all.
In those cases, I got audio and a control thingie.

Sorry about the misinformation.

Try selecting another video output driver in gmplayer's preference's video
tab. x11 should always work, although it's slower than xv and causes tearing.
Depending on your video card/drivers xv or opengl may be better choices.

x11 didn't work.
I'll try the others when I get home.
Is there a reason the failure would be specific to gmplayer?
I was under the impression that they both drove the same backend.
Can I use -vo instead of the tab?

Even with mplayer,
there was colored flicering crud at the bottom of the window.

I also tried kmplayer.
Wheeee!
No vertical hold.

--