Failures upgrading two completely different machines from F11 to F10

I have two machines that I want to upgrade and both have been failures.

FAILED UPGRADE ONE: (Intel i7-940 desktop)
First, my desktop machine.  (This one.)  I ran preupgrade again tonight without
changing anything from my earlier attempts when it didn't find Fedora 12, and
suddenly Fedora 12 was available.  Great!   It went through all of the
downloading and everything else, then when it got to the end it told me that I
had insufficient disk space in /boot.  (This machine was originally set up
using the default partitioning scheme in Fedora 11; I find it odd that the
Fedora 11 default /boot partition would be too small but there you have it.)

I removed all of the F11 kernels that I'm not currently using, leaving one.
When I told preupgrade to check again, it said I needed another 64k in /boot.
I deleted splash.xpm.gz and then it was happy and told me that it was ready to
reboot to update the computer.

I rebooted and the installer told me that there is insufficient disk space
in /boot, and 0.0 additional mb were required.  (Yes, that's 0.0mb that I was
short.)

My only option at that point was to exit the installer.  Thankfully, Fedora 11
would still boot on here.

My next attempt was to delete the "update" directory in /boot, and
delete /var/cache/yum/preupgrade*.  I then downloaded
Fedora-12-x86_64-netinst.iso (checksum
87569889fe1f05b8f74e7045caa4957ab1126744ca2d276704520f111eb1bb27 just like it
says in the checksum file) and put that on a cd and booted off of it.  It went
through the initial stuff about do I want to update or do a new install.  I
told it to update, it updated TWO packages and said it was done.  (The two
packages were Scribus and Scribus-doc; I use a previous version of Scribus on
my computer so the machine thought it was out of date.  Guess what it updated
me to?  Fedora 11!

I double and triple-checked the netinst-iso that I had downloaded thinking I
must have downloaded the Fedora 11 version by mistake.  There was no
mistake.  I really did download the F12 version; the checksum matches what
is posted as the F12 netinst image on two different mirrors.

So here I am, with an apparently too small boot partition for preupgrade, and a
F12 net install disk that upgrades me from Fedora 11 to Fedora 11.

Again, at least this machine still boots.

So that's where this one is at right now.

FAILED UPGRADE TWO (Acer Aspire One laptop)
I have an Acer Aspire One laptop that I initially installed with the
pre-release version of Fedora 10 using the default partitioning scheme.  It was
automatically updated to the final release of Fedora 10, and I updated it from
Fedora 10 to Fedora 11 using preupgrade which worked fine.

Today I have tried three times to upgrade it to Fedora 11 using preupgrade.
The first time I ran it I got a message saying that I had insufficient space
in /boot.  (Again, that's the default /boot partition size that Fedora 10
originally set up for me.)  So I exited preupgrade and removed the two outdated
kernels leaving only the latest one.

I then re-ran preupgrade and was prompted to resume the upgrade.   I told it to
continue and after a bit of waiting the preupgrade window went away and left me
with this error message:

[root@acer frankcox]# preupgrade
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/yum/__init__.py:203: UserWarning: Use .preconf
instead of passing args to _getConfig warnings.warn('Use .preconf instead of
passing args to _getConfig') Loaded plugins: blacklist, refresh-packagekit,
whiteout Detected in-progress upgrade to Fedora 12 (Constantine)
preupgrade-main (mirrorlist)
  url: http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-12&arch=$basearch
  now: http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-12&arch=i386
preupgrade (mirrorlist)
  url:
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?path=pub/fedora/linux/releases/12/Fedora/$basearch/os
now:
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?path=pub/fedora/linux/releases/12/Fedora/i386/os
preupgrade-adobe-linux-i386 (baseurl) url:
http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/ now:
http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/ preupgrade-fedora (mirrorlist) url:
https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-12&arch=i386 now:
https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-12&arch=i386 unknown
metadata being downloaded: metalink preupgrade-rpmfusion-free (mirrorlist)
  url: http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-12&arch=i386
  now: http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-12&arch=i386
preupgrade-rpmfusion-free-updates (mirrorlist)
  url:
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-12&arch=i386
now:
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-12&arch=i386
preupgrade-rpmfusion-nonfree (mirrorlist) url:
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-12&arch=i386 now:
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-12&arch=i386
preupgrade-rpmfusion-nonfree-updates (mirrorlist) url:
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-updates-released-12&arch=i386
now:
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-updates-released-12&arch=i386
preupgrade-updates (mirrorlist) url:
https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f12&arch=i386
now:
https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f12&arch=i386
unknown metadata being downloaded: metalink Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 773, in <module> widgets =
PreUpgradeGtk() File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 376, in
__init__ self._do_main() File "/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line
259, in _do_main self.main_preupgrade() File
"/usr/share/preupgrade/preupgrade-gtk.py", line 436, in main_preupgrade
download_progressbar=self.dnlProgress) File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/preupgrade/__init__.py", line 130, in setup
self.complete_repo_setup() File
"/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/preupgrade/__init__.py", line 328, in
complete_repo_setup repo._grabfunc.opts.user_agent = __user_agent__
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'opts'

I ran "yum clean metadata" and tried again but got the same result.

I then tried "rm -fr /var/cache/yum/preupgrade*" and ran preupgrade again.  It
then went through the whole downloading business again (another few hours) and
then told me that I need 1.5mb more space in /boot.  My only options at that
point are "check again" and "quit".  If I quit, then run preupgrade again, it
tells me that everything is ready to update, hit the reboot button.  If I do so,
grub takes me right back into Fedora 11.  The only entry in grub.conf is the
single kernel that I have left on that machine.

Andthere's nothing else that I can see that I could remove from /boot to gain
1.5mb.