GUI startup login is taking 20+ seconds to setup

For some reason my Fedora 11 install now takes a long time after boot to
bring up the login screen, and then another age to actually login. The
background window appears, long delay, then login screen, select user to
login, long delay, then requests password. After this first login,
logging out and back in is quick.

Quite simply, I'm baffled and would like to sort this out.

JB