Re: spoof rsa fingerprint

> In the scenario that the OP hypothesized, yes, spoofing the
> fingerprint would help the attacker.  A user who attempted to ssh to
> the router would not be warned that the host had changed and would
> submit their password to a rogue host.
>
> In answer to the original question, though, spoofing the fingerprint
> would be extraordinarily difficult.

I don't see any fingerprints stored in /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts or the
user's equivalent ~/.ssh/known_hosts, these are the actual public half
of the RSA keys.  Spoofing these means breaking RSA and generating the
corresponding private pair.  If someone could do this, I doubt they
would waste their talents on logging in to some poor schmuck's Fedora
box.  There are much jucier and lucrative targets.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
If the airwaves belong to the public why does the public only get 3