Re: trying to understand SELinux message

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 13:56 +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> Well, for home or personal use systems, you don't really need SELinux.
> SELinux is for mission critical servers.

Until you do something that SELinux would have protected you from...

People do actually do things that need securing, on home computers (do
their banking, etc.).  Just browsing the internet and reading your mail
are the two major points of breakdown on the Windows world, and I'd like
it if that problem doesn't migrate over to Linux, as well.

I can't say that I've had mammoth problems with SELinux.  I've had
occasional glitches, but then the errant program usually gets *fixed* up
quite promptly, so it stops trying to do things that it shouldn't be
doing.  Using very strict SELinux rules on test machines, ones that test
packages before release, could only be a good thing for everybody else.

Of course there are some people who insist that there should be no
restrictions, and that any file should be readable by any person, and
any program able to do whatever it wants.  I tend to think of those
people as clueless, or suspect that they are trying to advocate
something that aids them in hacking other people's computers.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.