Re: Grub ??

Jim wrote:
> FC 11
>
> We have two Linux distros installed on one hard drive.
>
> How do I in fedora tell grub to show both  Distros on the Boot Menu at
> boot start up so I may select select one of two at Boot start.
> If I do a  grub-install /dev/hda from Fedora it will only show the
> Fedora Kernels at Boot Menu and not the other Linux OS.
>
> And what is even worse is if the other Distro does a Kernel update it's
> not shown in the Boot menu at start up.
>

> I know I could tell yum.conf not to update kernels, but I don't want that.
>
> I'm using Mint as second Distro. and at boot startup Mint in it's boot
> Menu does not give you the "apend" (a) feature but Fedora does.

One way I have done this is to install the boot loader for the
second distribution to the partition boot record instead of the mbr.
(/dev/sda2 instead of /dev/sda where /dev/sda2 is the /boot
partition of the second install.) There may be an option to do this
during install. (Fedora offers it.) Or you can use:

grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/sda2

I then add an entry in the grub.conf for the first install that
chainloads to the second install. It means you get an extra menu for
the second install, but all menus are properly updated by kernel
upgrades.

title Mint
 root (0,0)
 chainloader hd(0,1)+1

This is based on Fedora /boot being on /dev/sda1 and Mint /boot
being on /dev/sda2 - you will have to change the hd(0,1) to match
your system.