Help! I cannot unsuspend from disk.

I use kde4, in case that is relevant, with f12.

I decided not to turn the computer off, instead selected
suspend to disk (I think this is called pm-hibernate).

Later, I pressed the power button and hoped that my session
would be resumed.

Instead, a black and white version of the grub menu appears,
but not one using grub.conf. It does not have any options at
all and does not recognize any partitions or kernels. It is
impossible to boot the computer into any installed operating
system from any partition.

How do I break out of/cancel suspend to disk and simply boot
the computer normally?