Re: disaster recovery Q's

On Friday 13 November 2009, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>jackson byers wrote:
>> Tom Horsley responded
>>
>>> Everyone seems to think UUID= is infinitely better to use than LABEL=,
>>> but specifically because I can control the LABEL but have no control
>>> over the UUID, I always change the fstab and wot-not to use LABEL=
>>> after giving my partitions meaningful labels with e2label.
>>
>> I have been converted to using UUIDs also,
>> but I have often wondered if it would be
>> easy/worthwhile to convert back to using labels.
>> In my experience, the UUID for the rootfs
>> is also hidden away in the init file in the initrd.img.
>> If one tries to convert from UUID to labels, doesn't
>> the init file have to be changed also?
>> (That requires unpacking, editing the init, repacking.)
>> Or is it OK to leave UUID in that init file, but labels elsewhere?
>
>I am convinced that UUID makes things less convenient but more reliable.
> One experience with labels and a USB disk was enough for me, if I hadn't
> noticed that the f/s was mounted in the wrong disk data would have been
> lost.

Can you describe how that scenario was done?  I have a 40GB One touch, and a
64 meg and an 8GB key, and would rather avoid the potential if I could see it
coming.

For my main drive failure 2 days ago, I got another drive, gparted it the way
I wanted it, wrote a script to drive rsync -abcAX (with an added H for the
/etc tree since I knew there are hard links there) and
I did the labels, fixed grub.conf and fstab on the new drive, had to do a
couple of grub-install ops, all this after rsync'ing a failing drive to a
fresh one I setup with gparted, partitioned the way I like it.  It works, and
at the instant, my major problem is amanda, it thinks everything is new so
its trying to do a level 0 backup on a 35GB tape, of a 115GB system.  I will
give it more vtapes for tonight's run so it can play catchup.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

People who claim they don't let little things bother them have never
slept in a room with a single mosquito.