Re: How do I share a wireless network connection with a wired device ?

Linuxguy123 writes:

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 20:25 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Linuxguy123 writes:

> > In system-config-firewall.py, I did the following: > > - trusted the wired Ethernet port.
> - trusted DNS and Multicast DNS
> - turned on masquerading for the wired ethernet port
> - applied all these
> > In spite of all this my device is not getting an IP address. What am I
> missing ?

I say you're missing the correct configuration for your wired segment, and you're missing a DHCP server.

> I guess what I am asking is, how do I tell the laptop to serve addresses
> to clients on the wired Ethernet port ?

For starters, you need to assign a static IP address for your wired interface. Your narrative did not include the low-level configuration details of both your wired and your wireless interfaces. I'm guessing that you probably configured both your wired and your wireless interfaces to use automatic settings. That works for wireless, since your wireless address point is handing your laptop an IP address. That won't work for your wired segment, since there's nothing on your wired segment to give your laptop an IP address for its wired network interface, all you have is some dumb device there. Your laptop needs to take charge of the wired segment, and run the whole show.

Presuming that your access point is assigning your laptop an IP address in the 192.168.0.0/24 range, the logical netblock for your wired segment would be 192.168.1.0/24, so you'll need to configure your laptop's wired interface to a static netblock of 192.168.1.0, and a static IP address of 192.168.1.1.

You do that in Network Configuration. Bring up "Network Configuration", and edit your wired interface address.

Turn off all options, including "Controlled by NetworkManager". Turn on "Activate device when computer starts", select "Statically set IP addresses", put in an address of 192.168.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and leave the gateway address blank, together with all the DNS fields.

If, on the other hand, your wireless access point is giving your wireless interface an 192.168.1.x netblock IP address, you'll just need to turn around and set up your wired interface to use the 192.168.0.0/24 range instead. Your wired and your wireless interfaces must be on different netblock segments, and your laptop bridges the two. That's how it works.

Thanks for this reply.  It was helpful.  I knew that the wired port's
address couldn't be set by DHCP because its not connecting to a DNS
server.  It is the server.

I don't want to go to the trouble of setting up a DHCP server.  I
thought that was going to happen automagically.   So I gave my wired
port and the device addresses myself.  However, the device still isn't
happy.  It doesn't have Internet access.

I know that I can do this all manually by deactivating Networkmanager,
setting things up in system-config-network and in Firestarter, because I
have done it before, but I want to see how easy it is, or not, using
Network Manager.
My wireless router is giving my laptop an IP of 192.168.1.x.  So I gave
my wired port an address of 192.168.0.0 in NetworkManager.

No. Make it 192.168.0.1. An IP address with all bits zero in the subnet address is "special". So it an IP address with all bits one (a .255 address).

I used a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
What is the gateway for this port ?  I put it to 192.168.1.1, because
that is how it would reach the Internet, but the software sets it to
0.0.0.0 when I apply it.  ?????

No gateway setting. The gateway setting is applicable to the entire host, not a single network interface.

I left DNS servers blank but somehow it automagically set the Search
Domains to be my ISP. I haven't added any routes.
On my device, I set its IP address to 192.168.0.10, subnet mask to
255.255.255.0 and gateway to 192.168.0.1 because that is the laptops
wired port.

No, you just said, above, that you've set the wired network interface's IP address to 192.168.0.0, and not 192.168.0.1.