Re: disaster recovery Q's

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:03:13 -0800
jackson byers wrote:

> In my experience, the UUID for the rootfs
> is also hidden away in the init file in the initrd.img.
> If one tries to convert from UUID to labels, doesn't
> the init file have to be changed also?

I think only the UUID for the swap is stashed in there,
and it only uses it if you are trying to resume from
hibernate (or something like that).

The only places I've ever needed to change are the
root= parameters in the grub.conf file and the UUID=
parameters in the fstab.

There is some parameter I set somewhere I think in
/etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd to disable hibernate
(noresume=1 perhaps?) and it won't try to reference
swap from the inint stuff (which is a good thing to
disable on a multi-boot machines with shared swap).

God knows if that will still work with the new dracut
stuff in Fedora 12 :-).