Re: disaster recovery Q's

Aldo Foot wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> And, if I rsync each directory tree to the new drive, will that move the UUID
>> and/or labels too?
>
> Hmm... where does e2label stores the filesystem label? I don't know.
> I'd guess that dd would copy them, but not rsync. Anyone care to comment?

When coping entire partitions, I like to boot with a recovery CD and
use parted, or one of the GUIs for it to copy the entire partition.
As long as you are not using LVM, it tends to be faster then rcync,
and much faster then dd. As an added bonus, it takes care of coping
the ACLs, and only copies one file system at a time, without having
to remember all the options for rsync if you do not use it often.

Mikkel