Re: Creating a local RPM repository

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Aldo Foot wrote:
>
>> I use a similar approach as outlined in this link:
>> http://www.howtoforge.com/creating_a_local_yum_repository_centos
>>
>> All you need is the distribution ISO, and the createrepo and rsync
>> commands. You can always experiment to get the hang of it and ask when you
>> get stuck. In a simple setup you don't an apache or ftp server.
>
> I take it that this requires one to download the entire repository?
> And then keep it up-to-date.

It's understood that you downloaded the ISO image at some point in time and
used that to create the initial repository directory structure.
There is no need to download the entire repository. That's were createrepo
comes in; It creates a directory with metadata files to keep track of what
there is in the repository. Then rsync takes over and gets only what's new
from whatever location you choose.

> I must say that for my simple needs the NFS solution seems simpler.

The local repository is nfs-exported to the systems that need it. Why have
a local repo using createrepo as opposed to a local yum cache? Consider
the scenario with a mix of F10, F11, F12, CentOS5.2 CentOS5.3
and CentOS5.4. I can create a single directory tree in my local
repository in such
a way that I only need to rsync to one location and nfs-export one location. And
of course nothing is tied up to the /var filesystem of anyone system. I could
even put the whole thing in a USB HDD!

but of course the definition of simplicity is different depending on
one's needs.
~af