Re: Getting new laptop today... F12 Beta or wait for full release?

Richard Shaw wrote:
My wife is getting a new laptop[1] today and I don't want to put F11
on it as F12 is almost here. At the same time, I don't want to leave
Vista on it any longer than I have to.

Are there any serious issues with F12 Beta that I should wait for the
full release?

If having a functional system is important, as in you use it for something which needs to work, I would go F11 and upgrade not less than two weeks after the official release. New releases tend to have rough edges knocked off for a bit. Actually, F11 is an issue right now, if you install from DVD and then try to upgrade, you find that dependencies are utterly borked. If you like cutting edge to the point that you can tolerate certainty that there will be issues, go F12 daily, that, at least, will update.

Other note, LKML indicates that multiple people are seeing regressions in disk performance with 2.6.3[012], if that is important to you.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>