Re: Old Dual Pentium III 500Mhz Servers

Aaron Gray wrote:
2009/11/10 David Timms <dtimms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On 11/11/2009 04:54 AM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
Computer users nightmare number 9:  Part way through the installation
process, a message pops up, "You're going to need a bigger boat"
Nice way of putting it!
Ack ;-)

Boat is actually big enough !

Setting KeepAlive On and giving PHP processes more memory ie 128M, and
every thing is fine now. There are probably more Apache tweeks to look
at too.

Depending on how much traffic you do, you should also look at things
like a fastcgi implementation of Apache and PHP (PHP runs as a separate
program and Apache talks to it via Unix or IP ports).  Keeps Apache
from having to spawn PHP interpreters all the time and you don't have
to worry about crud like suexec.  We use it all the time...big
improvement in performance.