Unexpected death of all of my open applications...

Yesterday I did an update of my F11 system which included an update to
the 2.6.30.9-96 kernel (as well as other updates) but neglected to
reboot until today.  So I reboot and login again (using xfce fwiw) and
I'm happily working along when suddenly, all of my open windows just go
away (kind of like I had hit the "hide application windows and show
desktop") only alt-tab wouldn't bring them back (I had Thunderbird,
Firefox 3.5.5, and 8 terminal windows open, 6 of which had been setup to
open automagically when I logged into my xfce session).  So that was
weird but I thought, what the hey, I'll just logout and login and see
what I get.  Well, what I got was that my session settings were gone, my
terminals didn't reopen.  So I'm trying to figure out what the he**
happened.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Martin