Re: Creating a local RPM repository

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

Concretely, I want yum to look first in /var/cache/yum/updates on my
laptop, then in alfred:/var/cache/yum/updates on a local machine,
and then in the remote repository.

What exactly can I put in /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
to implement this?
yum install yum-plugin-priorities
Thanks.
I've installed that, but haven't worked out
how to use it to make yum look on my local network ...
yum doesn't know anything about "looking on your local network". You
still have to set up a repo and point to it.

In that case, I'm not clear how yum-plugin-priorities would help.

I see that there is a yum-downloadonly package,
which I just installed.
This adds an option --downloadonly.

I assume that you can then later run "yum update",
and it will install or update the packages that were downloaded,
as well as any other new ones.

If that is so, then it seems to imply that yum looks first
in /var/cache/yum/ to see if required packages are already downloaded.
If it finds them there then it uses them;
otherwise it downloads them from a remote repository.

That being so, my question is: why not allow yum to look at
what yum has saved on another computer?

I notice that after installing the yum-downloadonly package,
there is another new option --downloaddir=DLDIR
which seems to allow RPMs (and other files in /var/cache/yum/ ?)
to be installed in a specified directory.

It's not clear to me if yum will remember this new directory
if I use both these options --downloadonly and --downloaddir=OLDIR ?
Or will I have to specify --downloaddir again when updating?

Is all this a possible way of saving RPMs on a /common directory
served by NFS?

Perhaps you missed my reply to this, <hd26d3$rpl$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, indicating that I have been doing this and it works very well for me on FC11 and CentOS-5.[34] /var/cache/yum directories.

I suspect I may have misunderstood the basics of yum ...

If the post on shared cache isn't clear and you want to try it, I'll try to clarify. But it's really simple, just create a directory on a server, mount it rw on /var/cache/yum, and run update on one machine at a time. Any prm used on one machine is there for the others, and you never download a byte of data you don't need on *some* machine, so bandwidth is minimized.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>