Re: Creating a local RPM repository

On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 19:01 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> it seems to imply that yum looks first
> in /var/cache/yum/ to see if required packages are already downloaded.
> If it finds them there then it uses them;
> otherwise it downloads them from a remote repository.

In a sense, it does.  If the package is available in the cache, yum
doesn't download it, again.  However, when looking for updates, it first
looks at the repo data, which lists what packages are available (i.e.
what's new).  That's something that you won't have locally, unless
you've grabbed it from somewhere else.

Personally, I find the simple HTTP/FTP caching approach with Squid is
the simplest:  You configure your yums, on all machines, to use just one
mirror, and to fetch through your proxy.  Squid caches what you get.
And you only download, and cache, the packages that you actually use.

Some of the local mirroring options involve blindly downloading every
update that's released.  Whether, or not, you use that package.  For me,
that'd be a huge waste of bandwidth and drive space.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.