Re: General question about Intel and AMD virtualiztion support in hardware

Once upon a time, KC8LDO <kc8ldo@xxxxxxxx> said:
> Who seems to have the edge in hardware virtualization Intel or AMD? I've
> heard comments both ways with one IT person suggesting that AMD was the way
> to go.

As far as functionality, I believe they are pretty much equivalent.

If you are buying a desktop and want virtualization, then (the last time
I looked), almost all (if not all) AMD CPUs have hw-virt extensions,
while Intel seems to reserve it for the higher-end (read: more
expensive) CPUs.

> Also are there extra "features" supported under the various open source
> virtualization systems, KVM and Xen, under one manufacture but not the
> other of any real significance?

KVM is essentially a driver for the hw-virt CPU extensions, so of course
it supports them. :-)  Xen also supports hw-virt I believe.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>