terminal emulation problem, or a screwup on my part?

Running the following code in gnome-terminal, I get this when I press 7 on my
keypad:

27 33
91 133
49 61
126 176

I can't capture the keypad home key.  If I hit the dedicated home key (between
the keypad and the letter keys, I get this:

Home hit
262 406

So that works.

Running the following code in xterm, I get this:

Home hit
262 406

Which is working.

But no matter how I set numlock, I can't get KEY_A1 on either gnome-terminal or
xterm.

Same story with end, pgup and pgdn.

Am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with the terminal
emulation (or ncurses)?  Or is it my keyboard (a Microsoft Natural 4000)?

#include <ncurses.h>
int main(void)
{
	int ch;