Re: How to set cursor in editor to pattern given on command line?

Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 02Nov2009 11:27, Frantisek Hanzlik<franta@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
| steve wrote:
|>On 11/02/2009 12:58 AM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
|>>Hello all,
|>>[...snip...]
|>>Just something as "+/{pattern}" option in vim editor does.
|>>
|>>I want offer to (unexperienced) users edit (in shell script) some
|>>configuration files, and this should be done with some simple editor
|>>(no Emacs or vi). I think e.g. joe or mcedit is simple enough for
|>>these users, but joe nor mcedit cann't? probably? solve this demand
|>>(joe's command line option for jump to given line number (+nnn) isn't
|>>too much useable for this).
|>
|>This is a fairly common requirement when distributing applications which
|>may need config file changes, to inexperienced uses. My approach is
|>generally to provide a command rather have the users open an editor, eg:
|>
|>$ sed -i -e "s/foo = LOOK_FOR/foo = REPLACEMENT/" foo.conf
|>
|>of course you could precede that with something like ...
|
| I agree that variant with sed is in many respects more foolproof than
| direct editing, but in my case this isn't practical, as users need to
| see (and occasionally change) surrounding text too. Thus, classical
| editor is needed...

Ok, you'll have to to this on a per-editor basis, alas.

If joe has a +nnn option, try:

   # or egrep, depend what flavour regexp you're offering
   n=`grep -n "$pattern"<"$file" | sed 's/:.*//'`
   joe "+$n" "$file"

You'll need to work out variations for other editors, alas.
--
Hello Mr. Cameron and James,

thank You for these suggestion. I didn't want just jump to line with
searched text, because lines in edited files are long - sometimes up to
300-400 chars (sorry, I'm not author of them :). Then, I want jump right
on the edited text. At present it appears as simple editors cannot do
this. I have working solution in vim:

$ vim -i NONE -S <(echo -e "/SrchdPattern...\\zs/\nnormal n") EditedFile

("...\\zs/\nnormal n" construct is there because I want edit text 3 chars
after searching pattern).
It seems as my users will must know several vim commands. Or they will
had lesser comfort with some simpler editor.

Regards, Franta Hanzlik