Re: virtualization -- how do I use an existing windows installation ?

steve wrote:
Hi,

I recently installed windows 7 on my laptop, on a separate partition, making it dual boot. Now, I would like to boot into this installation without having to reboot. A casual google shows me that one can in fact boot off an existing physical partition using any of the commonly available virtualization tools on linux -- qemu, VirtualBox & VMPlayer.

So my question is, has anyone tried doing this and what were your experiences if you did ?

I am not averse to the idea of simply reinstalling windows 7 in a 'proper' virtual environment, but just curious whether reusing the existing installation is easily doable. I would be using the windows installation just to test portability of code that i write. I don't really need to boot into it often, neither do i expect it to be lightning fast.

I have booted XP as a virtual machine, using the *whole disk* under kvm. You must have a boot manager installed, and must *not* try to boot Linux under Linux, as you are likely to totally hose all your files. But running XP I was able to boot up and do a little browsing as a proof of concept. It requires kvm, if your hardware supports it modprobe to load the correct amd or intel kvm, then:

1 - qemu-img -c -b /dev/sda -f qcow2 MyVirtDisk.img
2 - qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda MyVirtDisk.img -net nic -soundhw es1370

At that point you will have a VM and should (may) be able to boot Windows from the boot manager. Note that any changes will go in the image file, not to the disk.

I had no luck running as a partition, Windows expects a disk.

Note: this is probably dangerous in some way, I actually did "-hda /dev/sda" which meant any stupid thing I did would be permanent. With the copy I din't believe you can hurt yourself, but that's just my guess.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>