Re: Samba with Windows XP client

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 11:14:57AM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I am running XP Pro with SP3 (as specified by Control Panel=>System).
> But if I right click on a folder I see a "Sharing and Security" tab
> (not a "Security" tab) but this gives no information on who has permissions.
> Nor does right-clicking again, and going to Properties=>Sharing.

"Sharing and Security" is just a shortcut to the "Sharing" and
"Security" tabs of the Properties dialog box.  Go to the bottom and
select "Properties"; you should get a dialog box with four tabs,
"General", "Sharing", "Security", and "Web Sharing".  For an object to
be visible on the network, you have to set up sharing--this allows it to
be shared, and describes who from the network has permissions to use it
(choices are Full control, Change, and Read).

But that's not enough.  Once you've let them "in the door" with Sharing,
you have to describe what the user they've connected as can *do* to/with
the object.  That's under the Security tab.  There you can change, add,
or remove users in the "Group or user names" box.

IF you don't see a Security tab, go to Start->My Computer, then click
Tools->Folder Options in the top of the resultant dialog box.  Click the
"View" tab, scroll to the bottom of the "Advanced Settings", and turn
off "Use simple file sharing".

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat