Problems running F11 from usb disk with newer kernels

I am trying to run F11 from an USB disk to see if my new PC will run F11
happily before removing the proprietary OS that came with it. With the
original kernel (2.6.29-4-167) that came with F11 it boots nicely to the
GUI. Any newer kernel (2.6.30 series) stops booting after initializing
the attached USB devices like keyboard and mouse. It seems it will not
find the USB HDD. It just sits there waiting. No kernel panic.

When I unplug the USB HDD it will print a usb disconnect message.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? Are there boot delay parameters or init
scripts to tweak?

Jurgen