Re: [SOLVED]should I go for 64bit version of Fedora 11 ?

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 05:46:27PM +0530, Jatin K wrote:
> Ok , I have find this [a] by googling
>
> [a]
> ---------------------------
>
> For 64-bit Ubuntu, finding the proper 32-bit support packages is a
> simple matter of opening up the Synaptic Package Manager, and
> searching for the string “ia32”. With 64-bit openSuSE, 32-bit
> support is already built-in, so you don’t have to do anything. With
> Fedora, though, it’s a whole different story. Not only are the
> 32-bit packages not already installed, the Fedora folk don’t provide
> any documentation on how to install them. The directions I found via
> Google were outdated, and wouldn’t work. I finally resolved the
> problem by asking a Red Hat employee in my local Linux Users Group.
[...snip...]

I'm not reprinting the rest of this because it's flat out wrong.
Ubuntu's 32-bit support on 64-bit platforms is pretty cracktastic if
you ask me.

In Fedora, you don't need to do anything specific for 32-bit library
support -- yum handles it all thanks to multilib support, and has for
quite a long time.  Bad, outdated advice is actually worse than no
advice at all.  If you found this page[1] then you'll notice my
comment in the comments section where I corrected the wrong advice.

If you're installing a 32-bit application via yum for some reason,
such as 'yum install newprogram.i586' (or newprogram.i686 in Fedora 12
or beyond), the 32-bit libraries will be brought down.

If you're installing an RPM you get from somewhere outside a yum
repository, you can do 'yum localinstall newpackage-1.0.i586.rpm' to
do the same thing.

If the application still has problems and complains about a missing
library, it's a bad packaging job by the vendor, not Fedora at fault.

You can often find the problem by reading the error output.  If you
get a message that says something like "Can't open library
/usr/lib/libfoo.so.1", you can look it up with yum and install it
yourself, with 'yum install /usr/lib/libfoo.so.1'.