Re: virtualization -- how do I use an existing windows installation ?

On 11/03/2009 07:24 AM, steve wrote:
Hi,

I recently installed windows 7 on my laptop, on a separate partition, making it
dual boot. Now, I would like to boot into this installation without having to
reboot. A casual google shows me that one can in fact boot off an existing
physical partition using any of the commonly available virtualization tools on
linux -- qemu, VirtualBox&  VMPlayer.

So my question is, has anyone tried doing this and what were your experiences if
you did ?

I am not averse to the idea of simply reinstalling windows 7 in a 'proper'
virtual environment, but just curious whether reusing the existing installation
is easily doable. I would be using the windows installation just to test
portability of code that i write. I don't really need to boot into it often,
neither do i expect it to be lightning fast.

cheers,
- steve

Hi Steve,

did you check