Re: grub 2: "error: You need to load the kernel first"

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Colin Brace <cb@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just installed Ubuntu 9.10 along side F11. My disk now looks like this:
>
> /dev/sda1 F11 boot
> /dev/sda2 F11 root
>
> When I reboot, I get grub, which has entries listed for both systems, but
> when I try to boot Fedora now, I get an error message: "error: You need to
> load the kernel first". (Ubuntu boots fine).

NOTE WELL that Ubuntu 9.10 wants to install Grub version 2

There have been discussions on the Ubuntu lists where
Ubuntu caused dual boot (ubuntu new and ubuntu new) issues.

I think the solution was  to boot with a live CD and downgrade grub.

Since grub is a chain loader we need to know
the chain of boot tools that you have built.   The MBR
points to foo,  foo points to bar, and bar loads bletch from
device xyz.  What if /boot was ext4 and your older
fedora can only read ext3?

You should still be able to fix it with a live or rescue CDROM.

--
        NiftyFedora
        T o m   M i t c h e l l