Re: (2nd time)URL Redirection with FC11 with resolv.conf

On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 16:03 +0530, Jatin K wrote:
> is it possible to redirect URLs to othere in FC 11 may be using resolv.conf
>
> say  on my pc if  I try to open www.google.com it should be go to
> www.blackle.com ( in FF )

I've already seen this question answered on this list.

You have several options:  You can put entries in your /etc/hosts files,
with a different (than the real) IP for the domainname.  You can run
your own DNS server, and have local records for any domains that you
want to redirect.  You can browse through a HTTP proxy (e.g. Squid) and
have it redirect certain URIs.

However, this will fail if the domain you want to direct to is a virtual
named based host, and the subverted name doesn't match.  Requests made
to them will include the hostname, and the server will only respond
(properly) to hostnames it's programmed to have sites for.

Perhaps you should say what you're hoping to achieve.  Such as censoring
internet at home so children end up at a warning page, instead of a
nasty site.  Or blocking adverts...

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686