Re: A question about the future of qemu package

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 02:30:49PM +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Saturday 31 October 2009 13:39:17 Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
> > After the release of qemu-0.12 which will drop kqemu support,
> > How we will accelerate qemu on a no virtualization capable CPU ?
>
> We won't.
>
> > currently i use fedora 11 with my own build of qemu rpms (with kqemu
> >  support)
>
> Theoretically, you could continue to use that old custom-built version, with
> no upgrading. But I'm not sure for how long you'll be able to compile it on a
> system with modern libraries.
>
> However, after I started a thread about this a week ago, I learned that there
> are the following alternatives (in no particular order):
>
> * upgrade your hardware
> but be VERY CAREFUL to pick the processor correctly; test it for vmx flag using
> LiveCD before buying (cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep vmx)
>
> * use VirtualBox-OSE
> but be aware that "Open Source Edition" means "crippled", ie. no USB support
> for the guest

If it is for personal use, you can use the non-OSE edition of VirtualBox
free of charge.

and, FYI, it works great on my new (3 months) system running a gigabyte
MA-770-UD3 board with Phenom II X2 550 (black editon) processor. Enable
the virtual hardware support in the BIOS and VBox will use it.

> * use VirtualBox
> but be aware that it is partly closed source

As above...

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                        The Lord is like a strong tower.