Re: Fedora 11 simple network question

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 19:51:20 -0400,
  Dennis Mattingly <dennismattinglyzzark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does Fedora 11 allow for plug-n-play router?
>
> I mean, can I do the following?
> 1) My Internet works
> 2) Go to Best Buy and purchase Linksys Router
> 3) Go home and insert Router
>
> Does Fedora support this?

Fedora has dchp clients that will get the ip address the machine should
be using.

You still have to worry about how the router is going to interface with
your internet connection. If you have a single dynamic IP address from
your internet provider and a modem or similar device with one port on it
to plug the router into, than it will probably do NAT for you without
a lot of effort. You may need to configure from some machine with a web
browser before you can connect to the outside.

> Should I report a bug if this doesn't work?

Depends on what kind of issue it is.

Also you might want to look at the possibility of someday running your own
distro (e.g. openwrt) on the the device. Even if you aren't interested in
that now, you might want to choose a device that will be more suitable for
that in the future. The amount of memory (flash and dram) and the wireless
chips used are important characteristics to look at.

One of the reasons you might want to do this is traffic control. It really
needs to be done in the router since the various machines can't easily
regulate what they are doing based on the traffic being sent by the other
machines.